Insure Now

Speak To Our Team 0203 582 1172

Content Insurance Specialist

our tenant
liability insurance

tenant liability insurance coverage

Liability insurance, also known as renters insurance, is a policy designed for people that rent their homes from a landlord or lettings agency. It provides additional cover to regular contents insurance policies, for circumstances whereby accidental damage may occur in the home leaving the tenant liable for the cost of damages to the landlords property. 

Contents insurance policies are designed specifically to cover the cost of repairing or replacing your personal belongings in the event of theft, damage or loss. But it won’t cover any damage to things like furniture, fixtures and fittings inside the home that belong to your landlord. Which means that you personally could be liable for the cost of replacing these items, if you don’t have tenants insurance.

Whilst renters insurance isn’t a legal requirement in the UK, having a policy in place will give you peace of mind should anything unforeseen happen inside your home.

For example, if  you or one of your guests spill a glass of red wine all over the landlord’s brand new sofa, tenants insurance will have you covered. Little accidents and spillages happen, especially if there are kids in the house. Having liability insurance as a tenant means you won’t have to worry about these incidents that happen from time to time.

Whilst landlords are responsible for ensuring the building is insured correctly, typically these policies don’t cover the contents of the home – this is the tenants responsibility.

For example, if there was a break in, the landlord would usually be responsible for making sure that the property was once again secured with new locks, keys, or a replacement door. But if items like your computer, jewellery or other personal valuables were taken, it would not be the landlord’s responsibility to replace these or otherwise financially compensate you for these losses in any way.

Like with all insurance policies, there are limitations to the cover offered under the policy, tenants insurance is no exception. Here are some of the instances where you might not be covered under this policy;

  • Damaged caused by your pets inside the home
  • Normal, everyday wear and tear
  • Theft by a person or persons living inside the home with you
  • If the property is left unoccupied for a certain amount of time
  • Damage caused by pests including vermin, termites, fungus or mould

If you need to make a claim, we’ve got a few options for you to get the process started. You can make a claim by; 

  • Contact us online through our site <link to contact form>
  • Call our team on 0330 024 2266 and we can get your claim started
  • Email us at [email protected]need to update
  • Or you can write to us at; 17 Teddington Business Park, Station Road, Teddington, Middlesex, TW11 9BQ

For existing claims, email our team at [email protected]
need to update

start your quote